Learning to ski & snowboard in the backcountry can be a significant challenge for even the most seasoned of outdoor adventurers. Specialized gear, proper preparation, as well as practical and technical knowledge is essential to begin skiing in the backcountry safely and efficiently. AT 101 has been developed specifically to introduce new skiers into the backcountry, to provide them with firsthand knowledge and experience, and to begin their transition into backcountry skiing in a safe and fun environment.
Canadian Adventure Company takes customers in a seamless transition from the front country to the backcountry with all the necessary gear, knowledge and expertise to make getting into the backcountry easier than ever before.
Cost: Winter 2020, $3,400 CAD (per person); Winter 2021, $3,525 CAD (per person)
7 night guided/catered trip at the Mallard Mountain Lodge
Additional dates and configurations (including shorter stays at the Lodge) are available. Please inquire for more info.
Winter 2020 – two courses
7 Night Course 1: Jan 26 – Feb 2
7 Night Course 2: Mar 15 – 22
Winter 2021 – two courses
7 Night Course 1: Jan 24 – Feb 3
7 Night Course 2: Mar 7 – 14
- Helicopter Access
- Lodge Accommodation
- All Food & prepared Meals
- Guide & Backcountry Training
- Pre-trip information and consultation
- Full Gear Consultation
- Trip planning and preparation
- Rental and purchasing facilitation (not costs). See FAQ for some general information on this.
Additional Course Details:
- Small group – maximum 6 guests.
- Same experience level – all participants are new to backcountry touring, which provides a relaxing & safe environment for all guests and ensures no one feels pushed or that they are holding anyone back.
- Huge variety of terrain – we can accommodate any level of expertise, and increase the challenge (if desired) as your confidence and skills increase.
- Practical and technical usage of gear and equipment
- Best practices, ski techniques, and more.
Avalanche Skills Training Option:
Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST 1) as administered by Avalanche Canada
Let’s Check Availability & Plan this Trip
Packages do not include: Travel to & from the staging area in Valemount, B.C., Rental touring equipment (available by request & additional fees apply), Alcohol, Personal Expenses, Taxes, Gratuities.
Group Specials, Custom Packages and Guide Specials
Any booking of 6 guests automatically qualifies as a private buy-out of the Lodge.
Groups of less than 6 can also buy-out the Lodge.
See Rates & Dates for Details.
Custom packages available – learn more here.
Specials for guides bringing their own groups – learn more here.
There are 2 ways to book:
Give us a call.
You’re welcome to give us a call and we can chat about any questions you might have about our course.
If we don’t answer, please leave a message.
Submit Your Request Online
Our online form lets you tell us about yourself and sign up for your backcountry course.
We’ll get back to you within 48 hours.